Monday, January 2, 2012

"In my dream, the Angel shrugged and said, "If we fail this time, it will be a failure of imagination." And then she placed the world gently in the palm of my hand."
 A new year always feels kind of like that quote to me, like the possibilities are endless, like the world in my hand.  What difference can a day really make? We throw away an old calendar and replace it with a new one. Blank boxes with numbers but what has really changed? Our attitude? Our outlook? Is that all it really takes to leave the old behind and start new?  Whatever the reason, it is always as if the weight of the old year falls magically away at the stroke of twelve and the slate is wiped clean.
Would that it could be that way each day at the stroke of midnight!
The fluff and clutter, (lovely and welcome as it is on December 1!), has been swept away and the house feels fresher than ever. The red geranium that I couldn't bear to throw on the compost, is blooming better than it did last summer. The brilliant red and green a subtle reminder of the past season, but so fresh and glowing in the scant winter sunshine that it can't help but make me feel more like spring than anything else.
I'm on the mend, still getting over my cold but back to work and feeling better daily. Thank you all for your kind words and wishes :>)
We did go to our friends wedding on New Years Eve. We toasted and kissed the new year in with the happy couple and it was beautiful.
I had to show you their favor boxes.  Darling little chocolate robed cheesecake bites baked by none other than my talented husband at the request of the bride. Five hundred little one inch morsels were baked, cut and dipped in chocolate and then sprinkled with tiny edible silver stars. Divine, if I do say so myself. That man has a thousand talents and he's all mine!
I am determined this month to spend some evenings watching the dvd that came with my DSLR camera and finally get a clue about how to use the settings rather than shooting on auto all the time. The darkest part of the year seems like the perfect time to practice don't you think? And since I'm now at work all day during the best light, if I don't learn soon, this blog is doomed to dismal photos 'til spring!  Anyone else out there who has no idea what the settings are for? If I'm teachable, I'll try to share in the simplest way possible what I learn. Maybe I can help someone else!
I'm off to the mall now, I need a new calendar!

19 comments:

  1. I love your opening quote..the world is full of possibilities, we just have to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bites are so cute as a favor! We were still enjoying the ones you brought yesterday as dessert for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a talented hubby you have. I have ventured into manual mode with my camera but only have so so luck in bad lighting. I need to learn more about my camera, too. Hope you enjoyed your day off. Happy New Year friend. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Kathy...I think you really summed up the passing of the old year into the new! I hope you had a wonderful New Years Eve celebrating!

    The cheesecake bites look heavenly and I am admiring your geranium. It's not easy to keep them going indoors but yours looks healthy and thriving!!

    All the best to you in 2012!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post Kathy -- valuable thoughts!! Wishing you good things as this year progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then she placed the world gently in my hand ~ very thought provoking! What a responsibility but oh I hope the angel does the same for me! Love love your geranium, so cheery it is. And those cheesecake bites DO look divine. The edible stars are a crowning touch. I notice you HAVE started the New Year out right in spite of ending it on a bad note!! So glad you are on the mend and your courage is bright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Sorry you've been sick! Make sure and boil your toothbrush :) so you don't give it to yourself again.
    Earl!!! Stop doing that when I can't have any! I am looking at something called gum paste and lustre dust for cupcake decor...have you two used it?
    I hope you have a wonderful New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You DO have a talented husband. Those little cheesecakes are beautiful. What a great quote. It always feels great to start a new year. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those little cake bites are wonderful! Your hubby is talented - and patient to make that many. Wishing you a wonderful New Year. Hope you figure out all kinds of ways to use your camera. Can't wait to hear all about it.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the quote at the beginning of this post. In fact the whole post is great. Your husband's little cheesecake favors are very nice. Good luck with learning more about your camera. Glad you are feeling better. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful quote to start the new year. Earl's cheesecakes look amazing! That might be a good business for him to go into....

    Still haven't taken the time to learn my camera settings...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pass the cheesecake bites please!!!!

    Here is to a fresh and creative new year

    janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little cake bites sound so delicious! Wish I had one now. The whole new camera thing scares me. I know my old camera so well. Good luck with learning the settings. There are lots of online classes you could take that teach you how to use your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad that you are feeling better and that you were able to attend the wedding! It didn't seem so promising at first. :)
    You, indeed, have a talented husband! Cheesecake bites are the best. Yum.
    I wish I could help you with your camera but I'm not so talented in that area even though I have been taking pictures for a long, LONG time! My daughters try to tell me what to do but I'm a visual learner. :/
    I need a new calendar too, now that you mention it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woooah! Can you send him over here to rustle some up for me?!!!

    I hope you had a wonderful new year (and a good time at the mall!!).

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! share what you learn about your camera. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love a new year...at my olden age, they are precious.:)

    Love that quote...makes me smile and feel all fuzzy.

    Love those little bites Earl is so good at making. What a man!! and he's a HUNK on top of all that talent. :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. The possibilities are endless. With the dawn of every day, we are given the chance to start fresh.

    Your husband is one extremely talented man! I love the idea of the wedding favors. Love it!

    Happy New Year Kathy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes I am also using other settings than "auto" on my camera, we found the sunset mode the other day.......or rather our son in law showed us how to use it. And it worked lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)