Monday, October 1, 2012

A Weekend in the Country, Happy October!

For the first time in nearly a year, I actually had a Saturday and Sunday off with the chance to do  whatever I wanted to. Heaven. Pure Heaven.
Earl and I got up bright and early and headed to Panera for coffee, our go-to face time most weeks, and we love it. Then off to the farmers market. Once again, the first time (and last time) all summer that I have been able to go. I usually work early morning shifts on Saturdays at my job so I'm not out until the market is closed. We have the greatest Farmers Market around.
We ended up with a big mum for $5, some beets, fresh corn (for chowder!) and a big old fat pumpkin for the front porch.
 This red and white vegetable is a radish!
 We got fat, sunset colored peppers to roast for 50 cents each
 Earl is going back next weekend for a bunch of baby pumpkins for a fall party:>)
 I wanted the whole basket of these gourds.
 The freshest beans, but we filled the fridge with other goodies this time, maybe next week he can pick up a few of these
 My sweetie always buys my flowers at the market..$5 a bunch and I filled two large vases!
 I think eggplant is so beautiful, why don't they taste better?
I love the warty, odd, unusual pumpkins the best, why didn't I get one of these?
And then we went to A Weekend in the Country at the local fairgrounds.
It was billed as a
"Shopping Festival". Can I just say we found that absolutely hilarious? A shopping Festival?
Ok, well it was fun, and we managed to walk away with only some artisan cheese, glazed pecans and cashew snack packs and lunch from the traveling lunch trucks. Because you gotta eat some truck food at the shopping festival don't you?
 Cute stuff galore, I want this wire basket
And these bags are adorable.
And I have some little cardboard houses somewhere in my craft supplies that I must dig out and paint and glitter the heck out of before Christmas.
So it was perfection in a weekend. We came home and made corn chowder with our farm market haul and I made another apple cake to celebrate. And how was your weekend?
 


13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very nice fall weekend! I now work every other weekend, so we really try to take advantage of the nice days we can do stuff. But this weekend we painted the house trim:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your F.M. looks very interesting. We are in a small country town and our F.M. consists of seven regular vendors with a few others coming sometime. But we vendors have so much fun together. We are all very good friends even tho we come from different walks of life and cultures. My weekend consisted of Saturday morning as a vendor at F.M. and Sunday evening our whole church was invited over to our minister's shed for a sing-a-long.A fun evening with lots of good eats and fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekend sounds wonderful Kathy. We kind of just hung around the house and puttered. We did go to friends house for dinner Saturday night.

    Today it is raining and foggy. Tomorrow is suppose to be the same. I am anxious to get out and enjoy some fall weather this month. Hope the sun shines soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. October is a glorious month! I love all things fall. Your photos are wonderful! The prices at the market are very good! The last photo reminds me that Christmas will be here before we know it. So much to do before then and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend your weekend. The fair looks like so much fun, and to bill it a "shopping fair" - well, at least they are honest!

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been wonderful to have a full weekend to do whatever you want. Your pics of the FM are beautiful and the colors as bright & crisp. Fresh corn chowder is a favorite of mine too. I will be buying a lot of corn next week and then spend some time getting bags of it ready to be frozen so we can enjoy it all winter. I could not have passed by and not bought those stacked pumpkins. Just love them. Thanks for letting us see your beautiful weekend trip to the FM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super weekend! Your photos reminded me of the many French markets that we used to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks like you had a great time!!
    We worked in our kitchen over the weekend...and I'm so happy that we are getting closer to having this huge remodeling job done.
    Have a great week.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fall markets. Went to one last week and stocked up on weird pumpkins and squash. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like the most perfect weekend! I am so happy for you, to have had two days in a row like that off! Your farmers market looks like heaven to me! So many fresh and beautiful veggies and flowers. :o) I smiled at your comment regarding the eggplant. I don't like the flavor either. But you are right, they are so pretty.
    Your corn chowder sounds divine! We have bags of corn in our freezer, that came from a dear friend's summer garden. They are so yummy to eat! :o)
    Have a wonderful week. love ya! T

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love turnips! You sure those radishes aren't turnips?
    Beautiful flowers!!! Nice hubby!
    I'm so glad you had a sweet restful weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely that you had both days of the weekend off and were able to enjoy it with Earl -- the farmer's market, Panera and the shopping festival -- and by the look of it beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy October Kathy. Your photographs really put me in the mood to do some Fall decorating. You and Earl must have had a wonderful time. Don't you just love this time of year?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)